“Doaba” literally means land between two ‘’Waters’’ or rivers. Doaba Foundation (Doaba) is a humanitarian, not for profit, organization working in disaster prone areas of Southern Punjab. The vision of Doaba Foundation is “Disaster prone communities becoming self-reliant in pursuit of their common interests”.
Doaba Foundation with the financial and technical assistance of CBM is implementing a programme titled “Community Base Inclusive Development (CBID) Programme Pakistan”. The overall objective of the programme is “An Inclusive Society Where Persons with Disabilities Enjoying Socio-Economic Rights and Well Being”. CBID programme is being implemented in eight flood prone union councils of District Muzaffargarh. All the eight union councils were affected by the Indus River exceptionally high level floods in 2010. Six out of eight progarmme union councils fall in Tehsil Kot Addu whereas the remaining two union councils are in the jurisdiction of Teshil Muzaffargarh.
2. Introduction to Assignment
An early warning systems (EWS) is an information system that provides information on potential hazards that might evolve into a disaster. The objective of a EWS is to monitor the first signs of emerging hazards in order to be able to trigger early disaster warnings to facilitate appropriate responses by individuals and communities to reduce or mitigate their risk.
It is necessary to ensure that early warning systems reach persons with disabilities and comply with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. As disasters have become more of a frequent phenomenon worldwide, it has become clear that persons with disabilities have been ignored and excluded from consideration in the design of the disaster early warnings. Early warnings must be provided in both visual and audio formats to include the wider community. These EWs need to be developed and field tested during the preparedness phase, with the support and participation of persons with disabilities. Accessible EWS must be built according to the guideline mandated by UNCRPD Article 9, Accessibility.
Doaba Foundation need to develop a training manuals for the training of staff and members of the established community structures (DPOs, Disability Inclusive Community Development Organizations, Village Development Commitees) within target communities to enhance their knowledge around Inclusive Community Based Early Warning Systems.
Doaba Foundation need to develop a training manuals for the training of staff and members of the established community structures (DPOs, Disability Inclusive Community Development Organizations, Village Development Commitees) within target communities to enhance their knowledge around Inclusive Community Based Early Warning Systems (CEWS). The manual will be based on two separate sections and will be developed for training purposes for trainer as well as for grass root level community activists.
The training manual will have the following topics but not limited to:
· Introduction to community early warning systems: guiding principles.
· Understanding early warning systems.
· Cross-cutting themes: guiding principles.
· Community-level practice: guiding principles per EWS component.
· Operational Aspects of EWS and CEWS.
· Guiding principles on Early Warnings and Communication.
· Methods of delivery of accessible Early Warnings.
· Accessible Broadcasting.
· Introduction to Accessible Broadcasting.
· Sign Language interpretation.
· Audio Description.
· Operational Procedures- Accessible Disaster Warning Broadcast.
3. Objectives of the Assignment:
The main objectives are;
· To make trainees understand the barriers persons with disabilities face in accessing early warning systems (EWS).
· To make trainees understand the implications if persons with disabilities are not reached by EWS.
· To make trainees know which EWS are appropriate for which type of impairment and are able to make EWS disability-inclusive.
4. Scope of work and Roles and Responsibilities of Consultant(s):
The scope of consultancy is as follows:
· The Individual/Firm consultant will directly report to Doaba Foundation Team.
· The manual will be produced in English and Urdu language
· The manual needs to be produced in easy language comprehensible to wider audience working in multiple backgrounds.
· The responsibility of designing illustrations and printing of the manual would also be the consultant/firm’s responsibility.
The brief roles and responsibilities of Consultant(s)/firm are:
A. Sharing a contents of training manual for approval:
· Share brief description of contents of the training manuals with logical sequence that will expose sketch of the booklet before its development for approval from Doaba Foundation.
· After approval of the contents the consultant will implement and develop the manual.
B. Development of Training Manual:
· The manual will be developed in connection with the existing materials (produced by governmental or non-governmental agencies) as reference.
· Explore through and identify more knowledge on the subject, keep proper references of the all material cited.
The consultant will undertake the responsibility of designing the manual with illustrations where necessary. Consultations with Doaba Foundation team during the course of designing is important;
5. Deliverables for Consultant:
· Contents of manual for approval from Doaba Foundation.
· Draft consolidated training manual in both languages i.e. English and Urdu.
· Designing and finalization of training manual after final review and approval of Doaba Foundation.
· Provision of soft and hard copy of the manuals.
7. Criteria for Technical Evaluation:
A detailed Techinical & Financial Proposal is required that should demonstrate a proven and tested successful track record and experience in development of training manuals and materials; This below listed will be put into consideration during evaluation
a) Conforming to the TOR.
b) Specific and past experience of the consultant.
c) Adequacy of the proposed work plan & methodology.
d) Qualification and competence of key staff.
e) Potential of Techinical & Financial Proposal to serve the objectives of services required.
8. Performance Indicators:
The activities should satisfactory meet the quality and completeness of assignment, and timeliness of delivery.
9. Basic Terms & Conditions:
Selected consultant/firm/individual will be responsible to complete assignment as per decided terms and conditions in the contract.
Selected consultant/firm/individual will be responsible to use agreed tools and techniques during the assignment.
Report will be finalized on the basis of final approval of DOABA FOUNDATION technical review committee as per signed agreement.
Terms & conditions for financial review:
Rates: The prices must be inclusive of all taxes.
Quote: One rate (lump sum) for all mention actiivites mention as above.
Provide: Detailed profile including relevant experiance.
Certificate: Please provide copy of your National Tax Number Certificate/CNIC.
10. Who can Apply?
Qualification and experience of Consultancy firms/organization/ institute and individuals should have,
I. The consultants/firm/individual should be experienced in the field of development of training manual and material and have strong idea about the importance of Disablity inclusive Development and resilinet.
II. The individual consultants or Firms having good previous experience and relevance with proposed work are welcome to apply for the consultancy.
Demonstrate adequate capacities to organize and complete the assignment within the time frame.
11. Financial Evaluation:
The financial evaluation subject to the technical evaluation is based on the Cost of assignment given in the bid.
6. Required Experience and Qualification for Consultant:
· Duration of Assignment: Timing would be approximately 03 weeks from the signing of the agreement.
· Master graduate degree in DRR, development studies, social studies or related fields, preferably including gender and disability studies, with demonstrated professional practice in development of training manual and materials during the last five years.
· Five years of hands on experience in development of training manual and materials on Inclusive DRR and Inclusive Early Warning.
12. Submission Procedure and Time frame:
Submission Procedure: The technical and financial proposals would be submitted in hard (via post/courier) sealed envelope before closing date. Please clearly mention Consultancy title “Development of Inclusive Early Warning Manual” on envelop.
Please submit Proposal at address: Human Resource Department, Doaba Foundation, House No. 01, Street No. 02, Shalimar Colony, Behind Toyota Motors, Bosan Road Multan.
Last Date for proposal submission is not later than June 20, 2018.
Proposals received after the submission deadline will not be entertained under any circumstances.
Doaba Foundation reserves the right to accept or reject the proposals without assigning any reasons whatsoever.
“Doaba” literally means the land between two waters and symbolizes the Doaba's work with flood-prone communities. The Doaba Foundation (DF), working since 1997, is a not-for-profit-organization, registered under the Trusts Act 1882, as a Public Welfare Trust at Islamabad. Members of the Board of Trustee of Doaba Foundation, both women and men, belonging to flood-prone districts, have personal experience of flood ravages. In 1988 some of them developed an Interest in flood disaster when approached by flood effects of Tehsil Muzaffargarh to help them obtain flood relief. Over the period, more like-minded persons gathered together and decided to establish an organization (eventually registered as Doaba Foundation) to facilitate flood prone communities to cope with flood disasters in a collective and organized manner, with enhancement of livelihood and food & nutrition security options. Doaba established small pilot projects on self-help basis (contribution from trustees and local philanthropists). This experience contributed to building a model of flood preparedness and mitigation which was systematically applied in implementing a pilot demonstration project on livelihood options incorporating disaster risk reduction in a flood prone community in District Jhang, Southern Pakistan. Over the years the model has been considerably refined, particularly with reference to gender mainstreaming and issues of rescue during flood disaster.
Doaba Foundation over the years has flourished and expanded its grass root community interventions in the eight (7) riverine districts of South Punjab & 1 District of Upper Punjab in Pakistan. It is facilitating the community by working on community based disaster risk reduction and development activities in the riverine belt of Chenab located in Jhang, Muzaffargarh, Multan & Khanewal Districts and the riverine areas of Indus located in Layyah, Bhakkar, and DG Khan Districts. It has started its work in Northern side Punjab, District Sheikhupura as well. Doaba Foundation is now nationally and globally recognized as one of the lead Non-Governmental Organizations in terms of establishing and demonstrating community based floods preparedness and management models at wider scale and fostering grass root integrated development process in the remote and poverty stricken disaster prone riverine areas in various parts of the Southern Punjab Region. At present, Doaba Foundation is directly working with more than 565 communities’ organizations located in and around the river Chenab, river Indus and drought prone in 8 districts of Punjab, established vibrant collaborative working mechanism with district governments, national/ international civil society institutions, and donor agencies, and advocating for the equal development rights of disaster prone poor and vulnerable communities living in the riverine areas of Punjab.
Disaster prone communities becoming self-reliant in the pursuit of their interests.
Doaba Foundation works to improve the quality of life among disaster-prone communities through optimal utilization of resources. Using a rights-based approach, Doaba Foundation seeks to build capacity of communities, focusing on vulnerable groups, for community-led disaster risk management, incorporating the same in programs of sustainable development intervention. Doaba Foundation expands its influence through strategic partnerships and policy interventions.