The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Senior Project Officer reports to the FAO Representative in Pakistan. She/he works in close coordination with the Deputy FAO Representative (FAOR) in Pakistan and the Assistant FAO Representatives (AFAOR) for Programme and Administration and receives technical guidance from the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (FAORAP) and relevant units in the FAO headquarters.
Monitor and supervise the execution of programme activities ensuring in particular close working relations with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) secretariat and Agency based line departments/authorities, and providing technical support and general supervision.
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of projects, related-products, and services.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation on technical issues of assigned programmes/projects; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guide lines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads and coordinates the planning and implementation of KP programme, prepare concept note, proposals for different resource partners.
• Leads the development of detailed project and related programme work plans, ensure timely development of procurement plans, and manage day to day operations of the Provincial office based in Peshawar.
• Establishes and maintains liaison with KP authorities, Green sector line departments, UN agencies, private sector and other professional associations, to ensure timely conduct of programme activities, including contractual arrangements.
• Monitors and supervises the work of consultants, institutions, relevant government staff and other partners, facilitate meetings and, ensures the timely and responsive delivery of planned project outputs and reports;
• Provides support and advice to the A/FAOR and FAO missions and consultants visiting/engaged in assignments in KP , including arranging the preparation of itineraries, appointments and liaising with the Country office to assist with travel and other logistical arrangements;
• Determines dates, agendas, budgets and participation for capacity development components of the programme and arranges/conducts workshops and exchange visits in consultation with the Programme Officer, Resilience, in Peshawar;
• Supervises value chains development, integrated natural resource management work in the project areas. Introduces Climate Smart resilient agriculture practices for testing and replication, building on local/indigenous knowledge and innovations and recent research findings, in close collaboration with the National Agricultural Research Centre (NARC)/Pakistan Agricultural Research Council (PARC), Research institutes at provincial level, KP Secretariat and the University of Agriculture;
• Ensures that inputs, equipment, technical assistance and services are provided to beneficiaries efficiently and in a timely manner;
• Facilitates mainstreaming gender, disaster risk reduction (DRR), protection, involvement of youth and nutrition in all FAO projects and programmes in the KP area;
• Collaborates with the Islamabad based team of experts to prepare periodical and timely reporting on the progress of programme activities and issues arising for resource partners and Government counterparts.
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, development economics, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture, business administration, political sciences, or a related field;
• Ten years of relevant experience in agricultural/rural development project management, and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and projects;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
• Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of complex projects/programmes in developing countries related to agriculture development;
• Extent and relevance of experience with international organizations/resource partners including on implementation of participatory and community focused projects;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analysing food systems/value chains and natural resources management and related issues;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy reports, guidelines and manuals;
• Proven capacity to work in challenging and remote locations;
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources.