The UNGEI partnership is convening a trailblazing coalition of 21 national and grassroots, feminist CSOs and young activists working to advance gender equality in and through education! This coalition is fired by our belief that your voices, knowledge and experience are critical to global decisions on funding and policy.
- The Feminist Education Coalition will meaningfully work with UNGEI as partners in UNGEI’s 2023 – 2027 Strategic Planning process
- UNGEI will fund, convene and facilitate the meaningful participation and leadership of this coalition in the UN Secretary-General’s Transforming Education Summit (TES)
This Coalition, alongside the UNGEI Global Advisory Committee members, will harness the power of collective action to make a unified impact on TES. The outcomes of this collective action will then influence UNGEI’s 2023-27 Strategic Planning, with the opportunity to establish long-term partnership and collaboration through becoming members of the UNGEI Global Advisory Committee.
This group will have three key objectives:
- Ensure that UNGEI’s new Strategic Plan and Portfolio (2023-2027) reflects and addresses lived reality of the most marginalized children, especially girls, in accessing and benefitting from education;
- Meaningful participation of diverse, national, grassroots, feminist actors and gender experts in TES consultation processes;
- Advocating with one voice around girls’ education and gender equality in and through education.
- UNGEI’s 2023-2027 Strategic Plan and Portfolio benefits from the knowledge, experience and technical leadership of national and grassroots organizations and activists working for gender equality in and through education;
- Joint policy/advocacy priorities, messages and asks on gender equality in education developed;
- Joint advocacy/influencing plan for TES developed and implemented.
As a member of this coalition, you will:
- -Review and provide technical inputs and feedback into TES discussion/outcome papers;
- -Review and provide inputs on joint research, policy advocacy and think pieces;
- -Co-create a joint advocacy/influencing plan;
- -Co-create joint policy/advocacy priorities on gender equality and education;
- -Attend virtual workshops/consultations preparation meetings;
- -Consult your own communities to ensure their priorities are brought into this whole process;
- -Attend the Transforming Education Summit in September. This will include a fully funded trip to New York City to actively participate in the TES summit, to participate in a workshop to influence UNGEI’s Strategic Planning process and to participate and play a leading role in an external facing event.
The first workshop will take place at 8am EST on 8th / 9th June. The objective is to create key policy asks and define priorities that can feed into the pre-Summit. Members must be able to attend this workshop.
You should consider applying to join the Feminist Education Coalition if you are either:
- -A national or grassroots civil society organization that has directly reached at least 5,000 children (with a focus on girls and / or progressing gender equality) in the last five years;
- A young feminist activist aged 18 – 30 who does NOT represent a CSO but who actively does activism and advocacy work on gender equality for children;
- You are actively working to advance gender equality among children with direct interface with education systems at a community or national level;
- You are based in a developing country;
- If you are a CSO, you can share evidence of your work in the last five years, reaching at least 5,000 children (with a focus on girls and / or progressing gender equality). Intersectional approaches and programmes, related to disability, ethnic/ racial minority, LGBTQI are especially welcome
- You believe in and exhibit inclusive organizing and collective action and feminist movement building;
- You are able to participate in preparatory work and be able to participate in all of the interview dates, consultations, meetings and advocacy moments virtually (approximately 10-15 meetings from May to September;
- You are able to travel to NYC in September (UNGEI will provide invitation letters for visa applications);
- You support feminist, gender transformative education;
- You share UNGEI’s core values of equality, inclusion, non-discrimination, anti-racism, mutual accountability, decolonization of development and feminism.
Do you meet this criteria? Apply HERE!